Monday 31 December 2012

Happy New Year

I have been informed by the lovely people of Facebook that it is indeed the 31st of December. And we all know what that means - another year to look forward to! Or in my case just remembering about, hence the scrambling to the nearest computer to inform the world of how clueless I am.
So, what happened in 2012? In a random fashion, heres a few bits and bobs from home and abroad that I can think of;
  • The big one, the 2012 Olympics in the UK. Everyone either loves it or hates it. I was converted this year, but only because I was staying with friends who are obsessed with sports. And lets not forget Ireland's great wins! Ah Ms Taylor has a special place in my non-sporting heart forever.
  •  - And to add to that the Queen celebrated her Diamond Jubilee. The little lady even took part in the closing ceremony of the Olympics, pretending to parachute into the stadium. I have a feeling she is going to live forever. She is so up to date and well, as the cool kids would say, 'hip'.
  • #Kony 2012. This video went viral after being posted about Ugandan warlord Joseph Kony. It sort of backfired after being such a social media success and ended up fizzling out. But it shows yet again the power of people and the power of the internet.
  • The American election was back on and Obama was re-elected. (did anyone else stay up til 4am and watch the results come in? No? Ok then..)
  • The death of Savita Halappanavar at a Galway hospital had the country in an uproar and protests were held in favour of legalising abortion in Ireland.
  • Maeve Binchy passed away. Her last novel A Week in Winter also was released. She will be missed. I was first introduced to her by my Gran when I was little. The film Tara Road, which was adopted from a book Maeve wrote was played to death in my house. 
  • The Mayan calendar finished and the world was meant to end on the 21st of December. Good thing I didn't hold my breath. 
  • The Late Late Toy Show was a success again this year with a few gems as always. Who remembers this little fella?


I hope everyone has had a lovely Christmas and is looking forward to the count down tonight. Me? Well I'll be sitting in bed with some tea, dripping a face mask onto the latest book I'm reading.  
What are some moments you remember from 2012?


<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/4484361/?claim=u2x2def2e29">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment